With his idea accepted,
The story of the ensuing years is one of rapid growth and expansion. Soon forty students and three teachers comprised the school population. In time, additional years of study and more courses were added to the one year course program so that the students had a broader field from which to choose. Botany, German, Latin, English Literature, Algebra and Solid Geometry were some of the subjects available.
By 1904, the
Ashbourne school building had become so crowded that a new and larger site was
imperative. Action was taken and a new building was completed in 1906 on the
The Township experienced rapid growth after World War 1, and the facilities were no longer adequate. In 1922, a movement to build a new senior high school was launched. When the new sites were examined, the land adjacent to the school, (which was, at the time, one of the suburb's athletic fields) was taken over for the new building. The new structure, the Ogontz building, was completed in 1926.
The old high school now became Elkins Park Junior High School.
With the reorganization of the school system to include three years of high school, and with the growing recognition of Cheltenham's good standing and reputation, the school soon filled to capacity.
In 1938 the Board of School Directors built the largest gymnasium in the community to futher the physical education of the students. In 1951 an Industrial and Fine Arts building was built on ground adjacent to the senior high school. The new building enabled the high school program to expand to meet a growing need within the student body. It also was utilized to enrich the program of the Adult School.
The population continued to grow and in 1955, 1956, and 1957 rooms were opened for high school use in what had been the old Elkins Park Junior High School. Aportion of the building was used for the District Administration Offices. From 1955 to 1959 the four buildings served the needs of the high school.
While the campus type school had some advantages, the disadvantage, especially in inclement weather, were apparent. Furthermore, the high school population continued to grow and by 1956 a decision faced those responsible for the direction of the schools of the Township. Basically the question was, should the present high school facilities be expanded or should a new building be built upon a new site.
A Citizens' Advisory Committee was created to guide the Board and the Administration on this important decision. After a study of the school population, it was determined that a new high school should be constructed. After a survey of possible sites, the Wright farm (the last remaining in the Township) was purchased. Ground for the new building was broken in June 1955. The new building was opened to students on September 8th of 1959.
The new school was constructed on a site of fifty-one acres and the total coast including land and equipment was $6,400,000. The new school was considered one of the finest secondary school buildings in the country. School population continued to grow and by 1964 had reached 1,700. At that time the Board decided to add a new wing to the building. Work began on the addition on the fall of 1965 with completion in the Spring of 1967.
With the opening of the new High School in 1959, the old
High School became the
As a result the buildings were abandoned and vandalized and
In October 1995 the Board of Commissioners formally
dedicated the site as
The tradition of excellence in education continues today at